Located just fifteen minutes north downtown Baton Rouge, Louisiana, the Baton Rouge Zoo one of the first zoos in the state of Louisiana to be accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums is owned and operated by the East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana Recreation and Park Commission.
Home to over 1,800 animals the Baton Rouge Zoo is open daily between the hours of 9:30 am through to 4:00pm except on Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day.
Interesting Facts About Baton Rouge Zoo
• Citing the need for the establishment of a local zoo, “Buckskin” Bill, a television personality rallied the support and funding of the Baton Rouge community. Not only were his efforts successful in passing the milage election but they also resulted in a penny drive that helped raise money for the zoo’s first two elephants.
• The Baton Rouge Zoo was first opened to the public in 1970 on Easter Sunday.
• Baton Zoo’s Otter Pond features a replica of a fishing cabin, where visitors can watch the Zoo’s collection of otters swimming underwater.
• Baton Zoo’s Parrot Paradise is a walk-through aviary from which visitors can get up close and interact with several species of birds from around the world.
• The Baton Rouge Zoo actively participates in over 30 Species Survival Plans, including those for the Arabian oryx, golden lion tamarin and Guam rail, all of which have been successfully reintroduced into the wild.
• Reaching over 45,000 children annually, the Baton Rouge Zoo in collaboration with the Louisiana State University School of Veterinary Medicine offer several education programs including classes, day camps, outreach, reading programs, and teacher workshops.
Baton Rouge Zoo Webcam
BREC’s Baton Rouge Zoo Tiger Cam
Sponsored by Louisiana’s meat wholesaler, Manda Fine Meats and the local country station 100.7 FM The Tiger, The Baton Rouge Zoo’s Tiger Cam allows online viewers to watch their collection of Malayan Tigers and their cubs in real time.
Zoo Camera Tags:
- baton rouge live cam