Atlanta Zoo Webcams
Accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums, Zoo Atlanta a zoological park located in Atlanta, Georgia and one of four zoos in the United States known for its giant pandas exhibit.
Interesting Facts About Zoo Atlanta
• Zoo Atlanta was founded in 1889 following the purchase of a bankrupt traveling circus by a businessman by the name of George V. Gress who later donated the animals to the city. The animals which were housed in Grant Park and the zoo’s current location houses a black bear, camels, a gazelle, a hyena, a jaguar, lionesses, monkeys and a Mexican hog.
• During the 1930 Zoo Atlanta expanded its collection of animals with a donation of a private exhibit owned by Asa G. Candler, Jr.
• Between the 1950s and 1960s the zoo primarily focussed on renovation and construction, however by the 1970s, many of its exhibits and facilities were outdated and already showing signs of neglect. In 1970 the Atlanta Zoological Society was founded by a group of citizens to raise funds and and awareness for the park.
• In 1985 the zoo was privatized and renamed Zoo Atlanta followed by an aggressive restoration project highlighted by several exhibits including The Ford Rain Forest exhibit which opened in 1988 and a debut of a pair of giant pandas in 1999.
• In 1989 the zoo opened its Africa Plains exhibit housing a collection of animals native to the desert and grasslands of Africa including African elephants, meerkats, lions, southern ground hornbills, warthogs, lions, and eastern bongos.
• Since the opening of The Ford African Rain Forest the zoo has witnessed the birth of twenty-one gorillas including a rare set of twins named Kali and Kazi who were born in 2005.
• In 2004 the zoo completed an extension of The Ford African Rainforest known as The Living Treehouse. The exhibit which houses an aviary consisting of several species of African birds, also houses black-and-white ruffed lemurs, drills, ring-tailed lemurs as well as features an adjacent habitat for housing Angolan colobus monkeys.
• In 2007 the zoo launched its Orangutan Learning Tree Project which uses an in-habitat touch screen allowing the orangutans to interact with computer problem-solving exercises, puzzles and games while being observed by visitors on a monitor.
• In 2009 the zoo opened its Boundless Budgies Parakeet Adventure housing free-flying parakeets.
• In 2010 the zoo opened its Trader’s Alley which primarily focused on several species affected by the international wildlife trade.
• In 2011 the zoo opened a series of exhibits known as Complex Carnivores which featured binturong, fossa and bush dogs.
• In 2012 the zoo opened a giraffe feeding experience at its multi-species savanna landscape.
• In 2012 the zoo hatched a rare Guatemalan beaded lizard hatched.
• Zoo Atlanta houses over 450 reptiles and amphibians representing more than 100 species and is the only zoo to successfully breed the critically endangered Arakan forest turtles.
• First opened in 1962, The World of Reptiles housing several species of frogs, lizards, snakes, and turtles is also Zoo Atlanta’s oldest public building and currently used for public exhibits.
• In 2009, the Association of Zoos and Aquariums acknowledged a major safety concern at the zoo’s exhibit. As a result a critically endangered species of crocodile native to India and housed at the World of Reptiles as was transferred to other zoos.
• In 2013 the zoo began construction on its Amphibian and Reptile Experience; Scaly Slimy Spectacular. The exhibit which was slated to replace the former World of Reptiles exhibit was opened to the public in 2015.
Zoo Atlanta Web Cams
Zoo Atlanta is one four zoological parks in the United States housing giant pandas. In 1999 the zoo received two giant pandas, a female Lun Lun and a male Yang Yang on loan from China. In 2006 the zoo witnessed the birth of its first male panda cub, Mei Lan. In 2008 a second male cub Xi Lan, was born followed by a female cub named Po born in 2010. Notably Po’s name was introduced in the DreamWorks film Kung Fu Panda by actor Jack Black in 2011. As of 2014, Mei Lan, Xi Lan and Po are kept at the Chengdu Research Base in China.
In 2013 the zoo witnessed the birth of a fourth and a fifth cub and first twin pandas to be born in the United States since 1987.
View Giant Pandas webcam.
Zoo Camera Tags:
- atlanta zoo webcams
- zoo webcams
- ZOO WEBCAM